When a SonarQube instance starts to be really big, with hundreds of projects activating the cross-project duplication:
- the analysis time increases significantly and therefore badly impacts the performances of the report processing
- it turns out that it is useless to search for duplicated code in ALL the projects because anyway no decision might be taken to "fix" those duplications across different teams/departments/business units.
So let's deprecate this feature in 6.7 LTS (it will still work but be highly discouraged) and we'll come up with a better solution for next LTS.
What to do:
- Raise a warning on CE side when we detect that cross-project duplication is activated
- Note that this won't be highly visible by design because logs are not easily accessible
- Update the sonar.cpd.cross_project description to:
[Deprecated Feature] By default, SonarQube detects duplications at project level. This means that a block duplicated on two different projects won't be reported. Setting this parameter to "true" allows to detect duplicates across projects. Note that activating this property will significantly increase each SonarQube analysis time, and therefore badly impact the performances of report processing as more and more projects are getting involved in this cross project duplication mechanism.