This tabs currently lists of the plugin that should be updated before the upgrade of SonarQube is possible. But some plugins might not be compatible with the currently installed version of SonarQube so the user can really be puzzled by this information.
The idea is to tell things simply:
A new version of SonarQube is available!
- Download the new SonarQube version and start it on an empty DB (the bundled H2 DB for instance).
- Install (from the update center) the plugins you want.
- Install your custom plugins (if any).
- Update the conf/sonar.properties file to use the relevant configurations from your old instance, including the connection information for your production DB.
- Stop your old SonarQube server.
- Restart the new SonarQube instance: you're done!