Impact:Unknown 'null' severity
Likelihood:Unknown 'null' severity
Clear-text protocols as ftp, telnet or non secure http are lacking encryption of transported data. They are also missing the capability to build an authenticated connection. This mean that any attacker who can sniff traffic from the network can read, modify or corrupt the transported content. These protocol are not secure as they expose applications to a large range of risk:
- Sensitive data exposure
- Traffic redirected to a malicious endpoint
- Malware infected software update or installer
- Execution of client side code
- Corruption of critical information
Note also that using the http protocol is being deprecated by major web browser.
In the past, it has led to the following vulnerabilities:
This rule raises an issue when
- a string starts with http://, ftp:// or telnet://. (case insensitive)
- the telnetlib.Telnet class is instantiated
- the ftplib.FTP class is instantiated
Exception: the url domain component is a loopback address.