The projects page now provides a good way to quickly see projects distribution and to focus on some of them based on a few important criteria.
And, as a user who is working on several projects, I can add them to my favorites set so that I can follow them on a daily basis.
But, regularly, I also want to quickly explore and check some other projects that relate to the topics I'm interested in. For that purpose, I want be able to assign tags on projects so that I can quickly use those "topics" as a filter in the "Projects" space.
- As a developer, I've flagged as favorites the projects I'm contributing to. But I also want to periodically check the status of some other related projects without having to see them every day as part of my favorites.
- As a technical manager / quality manager, I want to discover, see the topology and explore the main measures of different projects based on different "topics".
It can be projects that relate to a common ecosystem or product, that are developed by a common department or team, in-house or with the help of a specific sub-contractor, or that are similar in type or function.
Concretely, as a user:
- I want to be able to create a new tag and to assign it to a project.
Permission required: I have to be logged in and I must have the right to administer the project.
- I want to be able to see the tags assigned to the projects and I want to be able to use tags as an additional filtering criteria in the Projects page.
Permission required: I just need the right to see the corresponding projects.
In project homepage
I would like to:
- Distinctly see the tags assigned to the project
For example, tags could be displayed in the right banner, close to the project description.
- List the other tags I can assign to the project
- Assign new/existing tags
In projects space
I would like to:
- View the tags assigned to the different projects in the same way I can see projects main measures and quality gate status
The list of tags displayed on each project is limited to a few items.
- See the distribution of projects by tags
The most-used tags (10?) should be directly displayed with the number of associated projects. And it should be possible to quickly find the other tags and see the corresponding distribution.
- Filter projects associated with one or multiple tags
And when some tags are selected, best would be see again those tags on each project.
A tag exists (i.e. is visible and can be used) only if it is assigned to at least one project.
Tags are not specific to a user but are global so that a every user can list existing tags and can make use of any tag that was previously assigned to a project (even if the project is not visible).
As for tags on issues and rules, the characters that can be used in projects tags are limited to a-z, 0-9, '+', '-', '#', '.'.
Out of scope
- Find projects by tags with the search bar
- Assign/change tags on a project, in the same way I can mark it as favorite.
No need of bulk change.